• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zach-carleton1

I pay my parents rent and pay for my educaution, myself, out of pocket. Now my father claims me as a dependent. How come I dont recieve my school deduction?

This year I made about 22,xxx and the rent I pay now is about $600/month.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Texas Roger
Level 15

I pay my parents rent and pay for my educaution, myself, out of pocket. Now my father claims me as a dependent. How come I dont recieve my school deduction?

Education tax benefits are tied to dependency. Whoever claims your exemption is the one who can claim expenses for credit or deduction.

If you paid more than half the cost to support yourself for the year, your father may not be able to claim you. You may want to discuss that with him.

There are some restrictions on how much education credit a student under age 24 can get.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Texas Roger
Level 15

Education tax benefits are tied to dependency. Whoever claims your exemption is the one who can claim expenses for credit or deduction.

If you paid more than half the cost to support yourself for the year, your father may not be able to claim you. You may want to discuss that with him.

There are some restrictions on how much education credit a student under age 24 can get.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v