zach-carleton1

I pay my parents rent and pay for my educaution, myself, out of pocket. Now my father claims me as a dependent. How come I dont recieve my school deduction?

This year I made about 22,xxx and the rent I pay now is about $600/month.

Texas Roger

Education tax benefits are tied to dependency. Whoever claims your exemption is the one who can claim expenses for credit or deduction.

If you paid more than half the cost to support yourself for the year, your father may not be able to claim you. You may want to discuss that with him.

There are some restrictions on how much education credit a student under age 24 can get.

Texas Roger