Solved: I paid tuition for 2016 but it did not appear on 1098-T form. I also forgot to enter tuition billed and paid in 2015.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewakat

I paid tuition for 2016 but it did not appear on 1098-T form. I also forgot to enter tuition billed and paid in 2015.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I paid tuition for 2016 but it did not appear on 1098-T form. I also forgot to enter tuition billed and paid in 2015.

-If you paid any qualified educational expenses in 2015 and did not include in your 2015 taxes, you will need to amend your 2015 tax return to re-claim the benefit. 

If you filed your taxes with TurboTax, to amend, see 2015 Amendment

-For 2016, if the Form 1098-T does not reflect the correct tuition amount paid, you can adjust the amount in box 2 on  your Form 1098-T to claim an educational credit or deduction.

Enter the Form 1098-T into TurboTax exactly as it appears on your form, then click on the link in blue that says "what if this is not what I paid to this school?" (below box 2) to enter the full amount of tuition you actually paid. See the attached screenshots below.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

-If you paid any qualified educational expenses in 2015 and did not include in your 2015 taxes, you will need to amend your 2015 tax return to re-claim the benefit. 

If you filed your taxes with TurboTax, to amend, see 2015 Amendment

-For 2016, if the Form 1098-T does not reflect the correct tuition amount paid, you can adjust the amount in box 2 on  your Form 1098-T to claim an educational credit or deduction.

Enter the Form 1098-T into TurboTax exactly as it appears on your form, then click on the link in blue that says "what if this is not what I paid to this school?" (below box 2) to enter the full amount of tuition you actually paid. See the attached screenshots below.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings