vicky6swim

I paid 7,428.58 for my son's college tuition in 2016. I can't claim his this year as a dependent as it is his father's year to claim him. Can I deduct this expense?

MinhT

No, unfortunately, only the person claiming the student as a dependent can claim his education expenses.

The following is an extract of an IRS document:

Who can claim a dependent's education expenses.   If a student is claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, all qualified education expenses of the student are treated as having been paid by that person. Therefore, only that person can claim an education credit for the student. If a student is not claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, only the student can claim a credit.

MinhT