Rickm

I'm pursuing an Assoc. Degree in a Comm.College. I already took 4 years of AHO credit. TT choose Lifetime Learning credit BUT I'm studying for an A.Degree. Is TT wrong?

AlanT

One of the advantages of the Lifetime Learning Credit is that you can take the credit every year for higher education as long as you meet the qualifying requirements.  It does not matter which degree you are working towards.  

After you have exhausted the American Opportunity Tax Credit, and you meet the following requirement, TurboTax will choose the Lifetime Learning Credit. 

You are eligible to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit if all of the following requirements are met:

• You (or your dependent or a third party) paid qualified education expenses for higher education.
  • You paid the education expenses for an eligible student.
  • The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent you claim an exemption for on your tax return.
  • Your modified adjusted gross income is less than $67,000 ($134,000 if you are married filing jointly).
  • The credit is reduced between $57,000 and $67,000 ($114,000 and $134,000 if you are married filing jointly).

AlanT