turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm not qualifying for the Lifetime Learning Credit even though my expenses were more than $10k. Why is this?

I'm trying to figure out why I don't qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit and it's baffling me. All signs point to me being able to claim it, but it keeps coming back to tell me I'm getting $0.

For reference, my education expenses were over $10k, I am a graduate student (so I don't qualify for the American Opportunity Credit), and I made around $1500 in wages (from both a retail job and a self employed job) over the course of the year. Can anyone give me any insight into why I'm not qualifying for the $2000 refund? Is it because I was self employed for a few months? I don't get it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm not qualifying for the Lifetime Learning Credit even though my expenses were more than $10k. Why is this?

The Lifetime Learning Credit is not a refund.  it is a credit that can reduce the ordinary income tax you owe.  If you only had income of $1500, then you do not owe any tax, so no credit is applied.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The Lifetime Learning Credit is not a refund.  it is a credit that can reduce the ordinary income tax you owe.  If you only had income of $1500, then you do not owe any tax, so no credit is applied.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3262982-what-expenses-qualify-for-the-lifetime-learning-credit">ht...>

Ughh really? That sucks because I've gotten the AOC before and it WAS a refund :( Oh well... thanks for the explanation!

Please take note of the last sentence of this FAQ   "Since this is not a refundable credit, the credit can't be more than your tax liability."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies