raculb

I'm a High school teacher. I want my class to do a demo return. Is there a way my students can sign in?

Coleen3

Yes, they will each need an email address. They would sign in the same way anyone else does who is doing their own return. They will need a unique user name and they can play around with their program to their hearts' content.

I used to go into High Schools and give lectures on the difference between being a dependent and being independent since they are all at that age when thy start earning a little money and file their own tax return without checking the box that they are dependents of their parents. If you just taught them this every parent at that school would love you.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

Coleen3