Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raculb

I'm a High school teacher. I want my class to do a demo return. Is there a way my students can sign in?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I'm a High school teacher. I want my class to do a demo return. Is there a way my students can sign in?

Yes, they will each need an email address. They would sign in the same way anyone else does who is doing their own return. They will need a unique user name and they can play around with their program to their hearts' content.

I used to go into High Schools and give lectures on the difference between being a dependent and being independent since they are all at that age when thy start earning a little money and file their own tax return without checking the box that they are dependents of their parents. If you just taught them this every parent at that school would love you.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, they will each need an email address. They would sign in the same way anyone else does who is doing their own return. They will need a unique user name and they can play around with their program to their hearts' content.

I used to go into High Schools and give lectures on the difference between being a dependent and being independent since they are all at that age when thy start earning a little money and file their own tax return without checking the box that they are dependents of their parents. If you just taught them this every parent at that school would love you.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v