I'm a full time college student about to graduate. Will I qualify for the stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Are you being claimed as a dependent on anyone else's return?  Did you file a 2018 or 2019 tax return?

I'm 24 years old and yes my parent claimed me as a dependent. No, I did not file for either year as I was a full-time college student and wasn't employed.

If you were claimed as a dependent you will not receive a check.  Sorry.

Hal_Al

Actually you will receive a check, you'll just have to wait a year.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...