Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpreed23

I know the amount I have spent for tuition/school supplies in 2016 and the amount my employer has reimbursed me. I can deduct the difference, correct? Also, my wife has paid for a class in 2016 that she will eventually get reimbursed for (we won't know th

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I know the amount I have spent for tuition/school supplies in 2016 and the amount my employer has reimbursed me. I can deduct the difference, correct? Also, my wife has paid for a class in 2016 that she will eventually get reimbursed for (we won't know th

Yes.

You can claim the Education Expenses you paid for that were over the amount your employer reimbursed you.

You can also claim the Education Expenses that your wife paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax year return, HOWEVER, if she gets a reimbursement after you file, you will need to recapture the credit on your 2017 tax year return.

To "recapture the credit" you will need to re-figure your 2016 credit and claim the amount of the reduction as a tax liability for 2017.

If you get the reimbursement before you file, you can claim the reimbursement when calculating the credit on your 2016 Federal Tax return.

Up to $5200 employer reimbursement is not taxable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes.

You can claim the Education Expenses you paid for that were over the amount your employer reimbursed you.

You can also claim the Education Expenses that your wife paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax year return, HOWEVER, if she gets a reimbursement after you file, you will need to recapture the credit on your 2017 tax year return.

To "recapture the credit" you will need to re-figure your 2016 credit and claim the amount of the reduction as a tax liability for 2017.

If you get the reimbursement before you file, you can claim the reimbursement when calculating the credit on your 2016 Federal Tax return.

Up to $5200 employer reimbursement is not taxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies