Solved: I have a 1099-misc for a workshop I taught at a local college, I don't know about material participation boxes or accounting method?

I have a 1099-misc for a workshop I taught at a local college, I don't know about material participation boxes or accounting method?

Since you gave the workshop and received earned income for your services then you materially participated in your business.  You would use the cash accounting method to report your self-employment income and expenses.

Although it may be news to you that you “have a business” (and most of the other people who get their first 1099-MISC); The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. Enter the 1099-Misc income, at Other Common income / income from a 1099-MISC . TurboTax (TT) will complete Schedule C or C-EZ for you and allow you to deduct any expenses associated with this income. You'll also have to pay self employment tax (social security & Medicare) on any profits greater than $400. These types of payments are frequently done this way. Your "employer" is not the only one.