turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

juliomora

I had to report my child's education grant as income on her 2015 taxes and paid underpenalty for her, can I deduct that underpayment of federal and state on my own income tax for 2016?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I had to report my child's education grant as income on her 2015 taxes and paid underpenalty for her, can I deduct that underpayment of federal and state on my own income tax for 2016?

You can't deduct the federal income tax paid but you can deduct the state income tax that you paid with your child's 2015 income tax return. You can only deduct it on your child's income tax return.

Note: Most tax penalty and interest payments are not deductible off of your income tax return(s). The U.S. Congress specifically ruled that these expenses are not deductible; if they were, there would be no incentive for taxpayers to pay on time and avoid penalties, as paying penalties would provide a tax break in the following year.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HelenaC

You can't deduct the federal income tax paid but you can deduct the state income tax that you paid with your child's 2015 income tax return. You can only deduct it on your child's income tax return.

Note: Most tax penalty and interest payments are not deductible off of your income tax return(s). The U.S. Congress specifically ruled that these expenses are not deductible; if they were, there would be no incentive for taxpayers to pay on time and avoid penalties, as paying penalties would provide a tax break in the following year.

juliomora

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies