I filed my 2017 taxes and I did not file my 1098-T. Am I required to file my 1098-T?

It depends. Usually you are not required to file your 1098-T (Tuition Statement) unless you want to claim an Education Credit. This form is for informational purposes only; however the IRS already has a copy of this on file. When you enter your 1098-T, we use this and other information to determine the educational benefits you may be eligible for on your tax return, (such as the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit). However, if your grant/scholarship amount (box 5) is more than your tuition (box 1 or box 2) you may want to report it because excess scholarship money may be treated as taxable income on your return.

NOTE: If you later decide you would like to add your 1098-T form you would have to amend your tax return. 

Click here for instructions for amending a return.

Here's a link with more information about Education Creditshttps://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/what-are-education-tax-credits/L7TuLrVqZ

So my scholarships exceeded my expenses. I forgot to add the 1098t. Can I leave it like that and not file the 1098t or am I required to amend and file it?

If your grant or scholarship amount in box 5 is more than your tuition amounts in Box 1 or 2 then, yes you would have to amend your tax return to add your 1098-T. However, you can claim your expenses as such as (your computer, printer, books, etc.) that was required in order for you to succeed in school.

How can I claim those expenses? By doing so, do I still have to amend?

Did your return already get accepted?

Yes

Okay, you will need to wait until you have received your refund. Then, you will need to amend your return to make changes (add your 1098-T).

Thank you and sorry for all the questions!

No problem. You're very welcome!