Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amberhsu0210
New Member

I didn't file taxes in 2015 because I didn't work that year. However, I didn't know if I can file 1098T that year if I didn't work so I didn't. Can I still claim 15' 1098

 
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I didn't file taxes in 2015 because I didn't work that year. However, I didn't know if I can file 1098T that year if I didn't work so I didn't. Can I still claim 15' 1098

It depends on which education benefit you are referring to.  Without a job and income, you might still be able to claim a partial portion of the American Opportunity Tax Credit ( for students who pursue their bachelor degree), but no Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition Fees Deductions.  

Per IRS, the American Opportunity Credit provides up to $2,500 for paying for an undergraduate student's tuition. The credit is partially refundable, meaning that you might be able to get 40 percent of the tax credit even if you have no tax liability. The other 60 percent of the credit can only be used to offset your tax liability, therefore, if you did not work and have no tax liability, you will not get this portion of the credit. However, for Lifetime Learning Credit, the credit is not refundable at all, which means that you can only use it to reduce your tax liability. If you don't work and don't have any other taxable income, you will not be able to use the credit. 

To file your 2015 taxes with TurboTax, go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I didn't file taxes in 2015 because I didn't work that year. However, I didn't know if I can file 1098T that year if I didn't work so I didn't. Can I still claim 15' 1098

It depends on which education benefit you are referring to.  Without a job and income, you might still be able to claim a partial portion of the American Opportunity Tax Credit ( for students who pursue their bachelor degree), but no Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition Fees Deductions.  

Per IRS, the American Opportunity Credit provides up to $2,500 for paying for an undergraduate student's tuition. The credit is partially refundable, meaning that you might be able to get 40 percent of the tax credit even if you have no tax liability. The other 60 percent of the credit can only be used to offset your tax liability, therefore, if you did not work and have no tax liability, you will not get this portion of the credit. However, for Lifetime Learning Credit, the credit is not refundable at all, which means that you can only use it to reduce your tax liability. If you don't work and don't have any other taxable income, you will not be able to use the credit. 

To file your 2015 taxes with TurboTax, go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

View solution in original post

amberhsu0210
New Member

I didn't file taxes in 2015 because I didn't work that year. However, I didn't know if I can file 1098T that year if I didn't work so I didn't. Can I still claim 15' 1098

This is very helpful! Thank you so much! I have an additional question - so I only filed a tax return for 2016. Should I amend my 2016 tax return? or file for 2015 tax return even though I didn't file tax return that year?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I didn't file taxes in 2015 because I didn't work that year. However, I didn't know if I can file 1098T that year if I didn't work so I didn't. Can I still claim 15' 1098

If it's a 2015 Form 1098t, it should be reported on a 2015 tax return.  If you also received a 2016 Form 1098T, if you have filed 2016 taxes , you would need to amend.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v