dansoftware

I co-signed my daughters loans and had to pay some of them when I took out a home equity loan, can I use the 1098-e interest since I paid most of it?

AnthonyC

Yes, if she was a dependent when you took out the loan, and you are also legally liable for repayment (i.e. co-signor), and you actually paid the interest, then you are allowed to take the deduction for the interest paid.

There are also a few other overall rules that must be satisfied. You can claim the deduction if all of the following apply:
  • You paid interest on a qualified student loan in the tax year 2017;
  • You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan;
  • Your filing status isn't married filing separately;
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount which is set annually; and
  • You or your spouse, if filing jointly, can't be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.

Now, when you go to enter this information, make sure you select "You" when it asks you about the loan.  The question in the 1098E section is not asking whose name is on the form, it is asking whose name is on the loan (which as a co-signor would also be you).  Don't select "someone else" or it will disallow the deduction.

AnthonyC