ladrianson

I cannot understand why I am not getting credit for my child's college tuition when we qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit????

MayaD

You may have answered one of the questions incorrectly in the Education section. 

Revisit that section and make sure that you have entered that you are at least a half time student, and that you haven't  taken the Hope or American Opportunity Credit for 4 previous years.

Qualifications for claiming the American Opportunity Tax Credit are:

• You paid qualified education expenses for higher education.
  • You paid education expenses for eligible students.
  • The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption.
  • Your modified adjusted gross income is $90,000 ($180,000 if married filing jointly) or less (The credit is reduced between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000).
  • You must be taking courses at an eligible education institution, which is any college, university, or vocational school with a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education.
ladrianson

Thanks, but been through it several times, deleted it out and did it all over.  I'll check again, but still not changing my tax burden.

KrisD15

Did you continue through all the education section interview questions to the screen that asks "Maximize My Credit"?

@ladrianson

ladrianson

I don't think I saw the maximize my credit screen yet. Guess I'll keep working and see if it pans out later.

Thanks!

KrisD15

You should see this screen