turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

snroberts

I cannot claim my 24 year old son as a dependent. Can I still take a credit for his college tuition. Also, what is the earnings limit for this deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I cannot claim my 24 year old son as a dependent. Can I still take a credit for his college tuition. Also, what is the earnings limit for this deduction.

You cannot claim education expenses for a credit or deduction without claiming the student as a dependent. The student would claim qualified expenses paid out of pocket or with loans on his tax return regardless of who paid them. The income limits at which the credits or deductions phase out vary by the specific credit or deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot claim education expenses for a credit or deduction without claiming the student as a dependent. The student would claim qualified expenses paid out of pocket or with loans on his tax return regardless of who paid them. The income limits at which the credits or deductions phase out vary by the specific credit or deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies