turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cphill7

I am still in schooI and have not started paying back my student loans, do I have to file the scholarships now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am still in schooI and have not started paying back my student loans, do I have to file the scholarships now?

If  your scholarships/grants (if any) exceed your Qualified Education Expenses, you are required to claim the difference as income.

If your educational expenses exceed your financial aid, you may qualify for an education credit..

So, you should claim both your financial aid as well as your qualified educational expenses.

To enter educational expenses:

·         Type in 1098-t in the search box, top right of your screen, then hit the Enter key

·         Click the jump to 1098-t link in the search results

·         Follow to prompts and online instructions

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If  your scholarships/grants (if any) exceed your Qualified Education Expenses, you are required to claim the difference as income.

If your educational expenses exceed your financial aid, you may qualify for an education credit..

So, you should claim both your financial aid as well as your qualified educational expenses.

To enter educational expenses:

·         Type in 1098-t in the search box, top right of your screen, then hit the Enter key

·         Click the jump to 1098-t link in the search results

·         Follow to prompts and online instructions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies