• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard8739

I am paying Pre K tuition for my grand child. Is this tax deductable?

Did not see a clear answer.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

Pre K tuition is eligible for the child and dependent credit even if the program is educational,  but only when the child is your dependent, and the care is provided so that you, and your spouse if you are married, can work.  

If the child is not your tax dependent, you can't claim the credit, but the parents can claim the credit as if you gave them the tuition as a gift and they paid the tuition (and if the parents worked).  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TaxGuyBill
Level 9

Is your Grandchild your dependent?
Richard8739

no
Opus 17
Level 15

Pre K tuition is eligible for the child and dependent credit even if the program is educational,  but only when the child is your dependent, and the care is provided so that you, and your spouse if you are married, can work.  

If the child is not your tax dependent, you can't claim the credit, but the parents can claim the credit as if you gave them the tuition as a gift and they paid the tuition (and if the parents worked).  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v