I am a school psychologist who buys materials for counseling and evaluations. Can I claim these expenses through a deduction even though I am not a "counselor"?

These would be considered materials.

If you are an employee, these expenses are job-related expenses.

Up to tax year 2017, job-related expenses were deductible as an itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI floor.

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the itemized deductions for job-related expenses subject to the 2% of AGI floor are suspended for expenses incurred after December 31, 2017 through 2025.