Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cburt-22

I am a college student who worked in the state of my college for 2 moths.My permanent residence isn't in this state.Do I need to file under my school state taxes as well?

Should I state that I was a part time resident in that state?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I am a college student who worked in the state of my college for 2 moths.My permanent residence isn't in this state.Do I need to file under my school state taxes as well?

Each state has different filing requirements. Check the filing requirements for the state that your college is in. With only two months' income, it's possible that you don't have to file, depending on the state's rules. But if state tax was withheld from your pay you might want to file to get a refund of the tax that was withheld, even if you are not required to file.

Each state also has its own definition of a resident, and the definition of a resident for income tax purposes might be different from the definition for other purposes. Usually being away at college does not make you a resident of that state if you lived in a dorm or other temporary housing. If you do file a state tax return, but you do not meet the definition of a resident, you would file a nonresident tax return, not a part-year resident tax return.

You might also be required to file a federal tax return and a state resident tax return for the state where your permanent home is. You can use the calculator at the following link on the IRS web site to see if you have to file a federal tax return. Again, if federal tax was withheld from your pay you are probably entitled to a refund of the tax that was withheld, so you might want to file even if you are not required to.

Do I Need to File a Tax Return? (federal)

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

This is the general rule: The income is work state (WS) source income since it was earned there. Resident States (RS) tax all their resident's income, regardless of where earned. You will file a non-resident tax return for the WS and report the WS income. You will file a full year resident return for the RS, reporting all your income. The RS will give you a credit, or partial credit for any tax paid to the WS.

For state filing requirements, the WS does not usually go by what you earned in their state but by your total income . For example, if WS has a $10,000 filing requirement and your total income for the year was $15,000; you would be required to file even though you only had $300 of income in that state. But if you total income was $9,000 your would not need to file.

Filing Requirements: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2903200-do-i-need-to-file-a-state-return

If you have a reciprocal state situation, the answer is different. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Each state has different filing requirements. Check the filing requirements for the state that your college is in. With only two months' income, it's possible that you don't have to file, depending on the state's rules. But if state tax was withheld from your pay you might want to file to get a refund of the tax that was withheld, even if you are not required to file.

Each state also has its own definition of a resident, and the definition of a resident for income tax purposes might be different from the definition for other purposes. Usually being away at college does not make you a resident of that state if you lived in a dorm or other temporary housing. If you do file a state tax return, but you do not meet the definition of a resident, you would file a nonresident tax return, not a part-year resident tax return.

You might also be required to file a federal tax return and a state resident tax return for the state where your permanent home is. You can use the calculator at the following link on the IRS web site to see if you have to file a federal tax return. Again, if federal tax was withheld from your pay you are probably entitled to a refund of the tax that was withheld, so you might want to file even if you are not required to.

Do I Need to File a Tax Return? (federal)

Hal_Al
Level 15

This is the general rule: The income is work state (WS) source income since it was earned there. Resident States (RS) tax all their resident's income, regardless of where earned. You will file a non-resident tax return for the WS and report the WS income. You will file a full year resident return for the RS, reporting all your income. The RS will give you a credit, or partial credit for any tax paid to the WS.

For state filing requirements, the WS does not usually go by what you earned in their state but by your total income . For example, if WS has a $10,000 filing requirement and your total income for the year was $15,000; you would be required to file even though you only had $300 of income in that state. But if you total income was $9,000 your would not need to file.

Filing Requirements: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2903200-do-i-need-to-file-a-state-return

If you have a reciprocal state situation, the answer is different. See https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895760-which-states-have-reciprocal-agreements

Carl
Level 15

If the state you worked in is not your resident state, then it's your non-resident state. It's important to understand and be aware of those two terms. I.e.; resident state and non-resident state.

If you are required to file a state tax return in your non-resident state, then complete the state return for your *resident* state last.

Many states have reciprocal  tax agreements so that your income is not double-taxed by being fully taxed in both states. The TurboTax program can deal with this just fine. However, you need to complete your resident state return "LAST" so that the program will handle things correctly.

Also, do not file *ANY* tax return until you have completed *ALL* tax returns and *YOU* *PERSONALLY* are satisfied with the results. This is because when you complete the resident state tax return it *WILL* change things on your non-resident return and possibly your federal return too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies