Solved: How will I know if my federal tax return will be taken because I owe student loans ?

How will I know if my federal tax return will be taken because I owe student loans ?

The agency should send you a notice/letter about your debt and provide you with opportunities to resolve or dispute your debt.

In most cases, your name can be sent to the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) if your debt is more than 90 days delinquent. You can contact the agency that your debt is with, to determine if your debt was submitted for a tax refund offset.

You may call the Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) TOP call center. Click here for the telephone number.  They're available Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

• Contact the IRS, only if your original refund amount shown on the BFS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your tax return. Click here for the IRS phone number.

Additional information:

[Edited 3-10-2020|7:26 am PST]

Additional information:

[Edited 3-10-2020|7:26 am PST]