abbymproctor

How to I enter the amount out of pocket paid for tuition?

It will not let me add the amount anywhere.
cameaf

Let me show  you how to enter the amount of out of pocket tuition using TurboTax Free Edition online:

• Login to your TurboTax Free online account
  • In your Tax Timeline, click Take Me To My Return
  • In the search box (located in the upper right hand corner), type 1098-T, click enter
  • Click the Jump to 1098t link; This will take you to the part of the program that addresses higher education expenses.
  • In the Do you want to enter your higher education expenses? screen, click yes
  • In the Tell Us Which Person Was a Student in 2016, choose your name by clicking the box in the center (it says choose your name)
  • In the Was (Taxpayer) Working on an Associate, Bachelor's, or Graduate Degree? screen, click the appropriate answer; click Continue
  • In the What Was (Taxpayer) Enrollment Status for 2016? screen, click the appropriate enrollment status
  • Enter the name of your school in the next screen; click continue
  • In the next screen- Did (Taxpayer)  get a 1098-T for the year 2016? Click Yes or No and Continue
    •   If yes, type the information from Form 1098-T as directed.
    • If no, the OK, let’s see if you qualify for an exception screen will appear. 
      • The list below are a list of exceptions that are allowed in order to enter tuition without a form 1098-T
        •  If you or your dependent: Haven’t received the 1098-T by January 31, or by the date you file your return (whichever is later).
        • Requested the 1098-T from your school after January 31 but before filing your return.
        • Cooperated with the school’s efforts to get the info necessary to send you the 1098-T.
      •  If the school is not required to send a 1098-T.Just make sure you have your education expenses and enrollment documented to take this credit using one of these exceptions.

• Click the appropriate answer - Click Either I qualify for an exception or None of these apply
  • Enter the educational institution and higher education expenses as directed on the next screens.