May 31, 2019 7:11 PM
Let me show you how to enter the amount of out of pocket tuition using TurboTax Free Edition online:
- Login to your TurboTax Free online account
- In your Tax Timeline, click Take Me To My Return
- In the search box (located in the upper right hand corner), type 1098-T, click enter
- Click the Jump to 1098t link; This will take you to the part of the program that addresses higher education expenses.
- In the Do you want to enter your higher education expenses? screen, click yes
- In the Tell Us Which Person Was a Student in 2016, choose your name by clicking the box in the center (it says choose your name)
- In the Was (Taxpayer) Working on an Associate, Bachelor's, or Graduate Degree? screen, click the appropriate answer; click Continue
- In the What Was (Taxpayer) Enrollment Status for 2016? screen, click the appropriate enrollment status
- Enter the name of your school in the next screen; click continue
- In the next screen- Did (Taxpayer) get a 1098-T for the year 2016? Click Yes or No and Continue
- If yes, type the information from Form 1098-T as directed.
- If no, the OK, let’s see if you qualify for an exception screen will appear.
- The list below are a list of exceptions that are allowed in order to enter tuition without a form 1098-T
- If you or your dependent: Haven’t received the 1098-T by January 31, or by the date you file your return (whichever is later).
- Requested the 1098-T from your school after January 31 but before filing your return.
- Cooperated with the school’s efforts to get the info necessary to send you the 1098-T.
- If the school is not required to send a 1098-T.Just make sure you have your education expenses and enrollment documented to take this credit using one of these exceptions.
- Click the appropriate answer - Click Either I qualify for an exception or None of these apply
- Enter the educational institution and higher education expenses as directed on the next screens.