farooqjan

how much school supply I can take for my dependant son

EDUCATION EXPENSES

Education expenses for grades K-12 are not deductible on your Federal return, whether for private, public, or home schooling, nor are the expenses for tutoring, after school lessons or after school activities, such as dance lessons, sports, etc.  Some states allow deductions/credits for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses; if your state has these deductions available, you will be prompted to enter them when you prepare your state return.  (As far as I know, the states that offer any sort of K-12 deductions/credits are Arizona,  Illinois, Indiana, Iowa,Louisiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)

KathrynG3

You can take school supplies for your dependent son if he has graduated from high school and is now working on a degree or certificate. Your income has to be below certain amounts, too. Click this link for more details: The Lowdown about education credits.

These expenses in general, include tuition and fees. You can also deduct costs for books, supplies and equipment, such as computers. You cannot include room and board.

For more details, see: What are examples of education expenses?