turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haasif

Hi, I have already filed and I have selected Standard deduction without verifying form 1098, How can I now verify if I use form 1098 will give more tax return?

How can I now find out after filing that my Itemized or Standard deduction will be better using form 1098?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Hi, I have already filed and I have selected Standard deduction without verifying form 1098, How can I now verify if I use form 1098 will give more tax return?

If the total of your mortgage interest and real estate taxes is less than $12,200 ($24,400 married), you will get no more tax return by "using form 1098". 

UNLESS, you have additional itemized deductions, primarily charitable contributions and/or medical deductions exceeding 7.5% of AGI.

BUT, I note that you are asking the question, in the education section.  Are you asking about form 1098-T and not form 1098?  If so, the 1098-T can be claimed in addition to the standard deduction.  That is, you may claim an education credit or deduction regardless of whether you itemize deductions or use the standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies