turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello all my entire tax refund was taken in order to help pay off my wife’s student loan that has been in collections. Due to the coronavirus I heard there is now a way to get the money returned

How can I get the money that was taken from our tax return back, because of the coronavirus
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Hello all my entire tax refund was taken in order to help pay off my wife’s student loan that has been in collections. Due to the coronavirus I heard there is now a way to get the money returned

This is not a new form, nor does it have anything to do with the virus.

Form 8379 lets you (the "injured spouse") get back your portion of a jointly-filed refund if it's seized or offset to pay your spouse's debt.

You must file jointly to use this form. Filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks.

To file this form in TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. In the search box, enter injured spouse and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is different. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim injured spouse relief.

This article will guide you through the process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think you are mixing issues.  @CatinaT1 explained injured spouse.

The coronavirus rebate checks will not be withheld if you have student loans in collections.  You will get the money.

I submitted my taxes with my direct deposit info, however my refund was taken to pay student loans. Will my stimulus payment still be sent directly deposit since it was accepted on my federal return even though I did not get a refund deposited? I did get state refund depos, just not federal. But direct deposit info was accpwte on both returns.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

You should still receive your stimulus payment via direct deposit to the account listed on your tax return.  Even though you did not receive a deposit to that bank account, the information was successfully transmitted to the IRS.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed an 8379 form with my tax return on 2-20-20 because of my wife’s past due student loan debt. I check my tax transcript every day. There has been no update on anything pertaining to my injured spouse form or obviously getting back my portion of the refund. When could my realistic expectation be to get an update?

Carl
Level 15

Tax refunds and C-Virus relief checks are two physically separate things. One has *NO* *IMPACT* on the other. If there is an offset to garnish your tax refund, that will not change. your refund *will* be garnished. Period.

If you qualify for the sitmulus payment, you *will* get that. If you do not qualify for the stimulus payment, then you will not get it. Period.

Manage cookies