turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I remove the tuition credit from the student worksheet. Last year it was in the step by step and I cannot find it this year. Not eligible and it still includes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

How can I remove the tuition credit from the student worksheet. Last year it was in the step by step and I cannot find it this year. Not eligible and it still includes

Why are you even entering educational expenses, if you aren't eligible?  A 1098-T is only an informational document and does not have to be reported to the IRS or entered into TurboTax.

because i have 529 distributions that need to be accounted for.  The opportunity credit reduces the amount applied by 10000 and causing a taxable prorated event on the earnings
Hal_Al
Level 15

Go through the education section again. When you get to the screen that says “Here’s your Education Summary”.  Click edit next to “Education Information”. When you get to the screen titled “Amount Used to Calculate Education Deduction or Credit”, verify the amount you want to use or change it (to 0 in your case).

Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution.  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies