Solved: Form 8863 American Opportunity credit - I'm told that if at the end of 2016 the taxpayer was 19-23, a full time student and their earned income is less then half of their support you don't qualify but I don't see that TTax asks about support?

Form 8863 American Opportunity credit - I'm told that if at the end of 2016 the taxpayer was 19-23, a full time student and their earned income is less then half of their support you don't qualify but I don't see that TTax asks about support?

What you have just cited are among the five tests for whether a parent can claim a child as a dependent. If the student is being claimed as a dependent, the student cannot claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. There is a question in the TurboTax educational expenses interview that asks if you are being claimed as someone's dependent.

If the student is not being claimed as a dependent, and meets all other tests for the credit, the student may certainly claim the AOTC.

For more information, please refer to IRS Education Benefits Comparison Chart.