turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nleh002

I work at the polls on election day and I went over $600 this past year. What do I need to file 1098 or 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

I work at the polls on election day and I went over $600 this past year. What do I need to file 1098 or 1099?

Form 1098 is for mortgage interest.

If you earned $600 or more as an independent contractor, the payer is supposed to issue you a 1099-MISC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Form 1098 is for mortgage interest.

If you earned $600 or more as an independent contractor, the payer is supposed to issue you a 1099-MISC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I believe the reporting requirement for an election worker requires the Government entity that you worked for to provide a W-2.

See:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/government-entities/federal-state-local-governments/election-workers-reporting-a...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Good to know.  Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies