Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was an EMT at the beginning of 2018 I paid over 2000 to go to school to become a Paramedic can i deduct this expense i did not receive any forms from the school

I did not receive a 1098t but i did graduate and am no a Paramedic

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I was an EMT at the beginning of 2018 I paid over 2000 to go to school to become a Paramedic can i deduct this expense i did not receive any forms from the school

For the education credits, the school, college or university must participate in a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education and then it would be considered an eligible education institution for the purpose of the education credits

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

Note: Expenses to learn a new trade or job or to qualify for a new career aren't deductible as an unreimbursed job expense.

• If you are asking if you could deduct it as an unremibursed education/job expense related to your job, the answer is no. Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), unreimbursed job expenses and other miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2% rule have been suspended (eliminated) through tax year 2025.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

For the education credits, the school, college or university must participate in a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education and then it would be considered an eligible education institution for the purpose of the education credits

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

Note: Expenses to learn a new trade or job or to qualify for a new career aren't deductible as an unreimbursed job expense.

• If you are asking if you could deduct it as an unremibursed education/job expense related to your job, the answer is no. Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), unreimbursed job expenses and other miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2% rule have been suspended (eliminated) through tax year 2025.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies