Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For my spring 2017 semester my Pell Grant was not on 2016 1098-T, box 5. I added as Other Scholarship Income on 2016 taxes. For 2017 taxes, do I ignore the 2017 1098-T?

I graduated from college in May 2017.   My 2016 1098-T did not include one of my grants, the Pell Grant, in amount of $2782 in box 5.  I added this amount as Other Scholarship Income on my 2016 taxes.  I have received a 2017 1098-T with this Pell Grant amount in box 5.  Do I not enter the 2017 1098-T in my 2017 taxes since this was accounted for in 2016? Or is this handled some other way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For my spring 2017 semester my Pell Grant was not on 2016 1098-T, box 5. I added as Other Scholarship Income on 2016 taxes. For 2017 taxes, do I ignore the 2017 1098-T?

Yes, the most important thing with the education credits is the timing and making sure that you did not use the same payment or credit or qualified expenses twice.  If you used and entered the Pell Grant to your 2016 taxes, you do not want to enter it again in 2017.  Note: You want to keep a copy of the tax forms for your records, and because you did this adjustment (which is fine) make a note on the form so you do not forget what was done.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, the most important thing with the education credits is the timing and making sure that you did not use the same payment or credit or qualified expenses twice.  If you used and entered the Pell Grant to your 2016 taxes, you do not want to enter it again in 2017.  Note: You want to keep a copy of the tax forms for your records, and because you did this adjustment (which is fine) make a note on the form so you do not forget what was done.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies