Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pike-evan

For Job Expenses for W2, do I enter in my tuition as an education-related expense? This info was entered under Expenses & Scholarship.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

For Job Expenses for W2, do I enter in my tuition as an education-related expense? This info was entered under Expenses & Scholarship.

No, you can't double dip. If you are already claiming the Education Credit or Tuition and Fees on Line 34 1040, you can't deduct the expense as job-related.

pike-evan

Thank you for the quick reply. My income level doesn't allow me to receive any deductions for education credit. Is it allowable to deduct the tuition (MBA program) as a job-related expense instead of claiming the Education Credit?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Maybe, but it has to meet the tests below.
Qualifying Work-Related Education
You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as business expenses. This is education that meets at least one of the following two tests.

The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of your employer.

The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.

However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it isn't qualifying work-related education if it:

Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business, or

Is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.

You can deduct the costs of qualifying work-related education as a business expense even if the education could lead to a degree.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies