jtmcb19074

Do to covid my daughter has been doing virtual learning. We had to buy a computer for her to do virtual learning can I write this off in taxes?

ColeenD3

It depends. If she is attending a qualified university, she can potentially take advantage of the related expenses pertaining to tuition. 

Per the IRS:

What are qualified tuition and related expenses for the education tax credits?

In general, qualified tuition and related expenses for the education tax credits include tuition and required fees for the enrollment or attendance at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including colleges, universities and trade schools). The expenses paid during the tax year must be for an academic period that begins in the same tax year or an academic period that begins in the first three months of the following tax year.

The following expenses do not qualify for the AOTC or the LLC:

• Room and board
  • Transportation
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses
  • Student fees, unless required as a condition of enrollment or attendance
  • Same expenses paid with tax-free educational assistance
  • Same expenses used for any other tax deduction, credit or educational benefit

For more information, please see the following link: Education Credits

Hal_Al

Tuition and expenses, including computers, for Kindergarten to 12 grade (K-12) is not deductible on your Federal Tax return.  A few states allow deductions. If yours is one, it will come up in the state interview.