turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Direct Loans - U.S. Department of Education

Is there any deduction for taking out a loan on behalf of my Daughter for College Education through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans Program?  Or, does this information not need to be included in a tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you do not enter the loan on your tax return but if your daughter is your dependent then you can enter her education expenses into TurboTax and might qualify for an Education Credit.  Please see Where do I enter Form 1098-T? for additional information.

Furthermore, once you pay interest on the loan then you can deduct the interest paid. You may deduct the lesser of $2,500 or the amount of interest you actually paid during the year. but the deduction is gradually reduced and eventually eliminated by phaseout when your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) amount reaches the annual limit for your filing status.  Please see Can I claim my student loan? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you do not enter the loan on your tax return but if your daughter is your dependent then you can enter her education expenses into TurboTax and might qualify for an Education Credit.  Please see Where do I enter Form 1098-T? for additional information.

Furthermore, once you pay interest on the loan then you can deduct the interest paid. You may deduct the lesser of $2,500 or the amount of interest you actually paid during the year. but the deduction is gradually reduced and eventually eliminated by phaseout when your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) amount reaches the annual limit for your filing status.  Please see Can I claim my student loan? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies