turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am in grad school and my job paid my tuition but they didn't pay for my books. I'm trying to deduct the book costs but I get a message that I'm not allowed to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am in grad school and my job paid my tuition but they didn't pay for my books. I'm trying to deduct the book costs but I get a message that I'm not allowed to.

Did you receive a 1098-T from the school showing your tuition etc.? If your books were bought from the institution and required,  then  you might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  This credit  is available for qualified education expenses for higher education and is available as part of a post secondary degree program or when classes are taken to improve job skills.

Student  activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified  education expenses only if the fees and expenses are paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

The credit starts being phased out when income is $56,000 for single filers and $112,000 for Married filing Joint returns.

The other credit, The American Opportunity Credit is available for undergrad only.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Did you receive a 1098-T from the school showing your tuition etc.? If your books were bought from the institution and required,  then  you might qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  This credit  is available for qualified education expenses for higher education and is available as part of a post secondary degree program or when classes are taken to improve job skills.

Student  activity fees and expenses for course-related books, supplies, and equipment are included in qualified  education expenses only if the fees and expenses are paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.

The credit starts being phased out when income is $56,000 for single filers and $112,000 for Married filing Joint returns.

The other credit, The American Opportunity Credit is available for undergrad only.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies