caleyclark

Can one take miscellaneous schedule A teacher deductions for graduate school costs if the District is paying tuition?

I am a teacher and my district is paying my graduate school tuition, so I can't deduct tuition costs.  Since the school district is paying,  can I deduct my travel costs, meals, lodging as miscellaneous schedule a teacher expenses as long as the total cost exceeds 2% of my total income?

MichaelMc

Generally, you can deduct as miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% limit the costs of work-related education or training. Since those costs are being borne for you by your school district and cannot be deducted.

Room and board, travel, and other personal expenses are not considered educational expenses, and would not be deductible.

MichaelMc