turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdm2255

Can my son-in-law deduct college expenses for which he used a credit card or personal loan for payment?

He also has a student loan from the school (for profit nursing school as opposed to a state or community ed program) that charges interest.  When will he be able to deduct those charges?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my son-in-law deduct college expenses for which he used a credit card or personal loan for payment?

Qualified education expenses (tuition, fees, course related equipment) paid out of pocket or with loans can be claimed for education credit. Here are the qualifications:

American opportunity credit: Credit of up to $2500 for qualified education expenses

needed for a course of study, paid for an academic period starting in 2018 or the first 3 months of 2019

Here are the qualifications for the American Opportunity credit:

1. It is available only for the first 4 years of post secondary education and cannot be claimed more than 4 tax years.

2. Student must be pursuing an undergraduate degree or other recognized education credential.

3. Student must be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period beginning during the year.

4. No felony drug conviction on student's record.

5. Credit is reduced if modified AGI is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 if MFJ)

6. You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Qualified education expenses (tuition, fees, course related equipment) paid out of pocket or with loans can be claimed for education credit. Here are the qualifications:

American opportunity credit: Credit of up to $2500 for qualified education expenses

needed for a course of study, paid for an academic period starting in 2018 or the first 3 months of 2019

Here are the qualifications for the American Opportunity credit:

1. It is available only for the first 4 years of post secondary education and cannot be claimed more than 4 tax years.

2. Student must be pursuing an undergraduate degree or other recognized education credential.

3. Student must be enrolled at least half time for at least one academic period beginning during the year.

4. No felony drug conviction on student's record.

5. Credit is reduced if modified AGI is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 if MFJ)

6. You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

mdm2255

Wow! That was fast and, more importantly, understandable!  Thanks!

Glad I could help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies