turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I write off the tuition I paid into for college even if my 1098-T form only gives an amount in box 2?

In the two previous years I had an amount in box 2. That amount was how much I paid for tuition out of pocket. This year I paid for tuition out of pocket like the previous yeard but there's only a small amount in box one and nothing in box 2. What should I do while preparing my taxes? I was hoping to write off my tuition expenses again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I write off the tuition I paid into for college even if my 1098-T form only gives an amount in box 2?

Box 2 of form 1098-T shows the amount billed by the school and this is not the amount used to claim education credits. This is why TurboTax no longer asks for the amount in box 2.

The amount used for claiming education are qualified education expenses you actually paid to the school in 2018 which should be shown in box 1.

If your box 1 shows an amount which is not the amount you actually paid, when filling out your form 1098-T in TurboTax, leave Box 1 blank on the entry screen.

Under box 1, on the 1098-T screen is a blue link: What if this is not what (student name) paid to this school? Click on that and you will be given a chance to enter what was actually paid in 2018 (see attached screen shot).

The amount you enter here will be used to calculate your education credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Box 2 of form 1098-T shows the amount billed by the school and this is not the amount used to claim education credits. This is why TurboTax no longer asks for the amount in box 2.

The amount used for claiming education are qualified education expenses you actually paid to the school in 2018 which should be shown in box 1.

If your box 1 shows an amount which is not the amount you actually paid, when filling out your form 1098-T in TurboTax, leave Box 1 blank on the entry screen.

Under box 1, on the 1098-T screen is a blue link: What if this is not what (student name) paid to this school? Click on that and you will be given a chance to enter what was actually paid in 2018 (see attached screen shot).

The amount you enter here will be used to calculate your education credits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having this same issue but when I try to use the "What If this is not what I payed to this school?" link it doesn't actually add in the amount I fill in to the updated Education Summary page. It just stays at $0. Is this an issue with the website/app because I tried on both and have had no success.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies