13pixies

Can I get any money back this year if my entire refund last year of $4800 was kept by the IRS to pay on a student loan that I had?? Can I write thst off or something?

No,  you do not get a refund for that.   Your tax refund was used to pay a debt that you owed.  There is not a "write off" for having your refund seized for your student loans. There is one thing you might be able to do--if you can determine how much of the refund that was seized was used for the interest owed on the student loan, you could enter interest paid.  The principal and any penalties are not deductible.

Enter the interest you paid for your student loan by going to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Education>Student Loan Interest Paid in 2017 (Form 1098E)