kdb2050

Can I deduct the cost of CEUs despite being unemployed all of 2017? Education hours are required to maintain my professional certification as an Occupational Therapist.

Hal_Al

Yes, if you still seeking employment, in the field.

But, For most people the real answer is: don't bother! You are allowed to deduct your  job expenses, subtracting what you were reimbursed. TurboTax completes form  2106, which  then carries to Misc itemized deductions on Schedule A. The problem with this is that you only get to deduct that portion of  your misc deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI. and then only if your total  itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.  (2% rule explained: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2902781-what-is-the-2-rule)

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Employment Expenses
-- Job related expenses

Hal_Al

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

-Employment Expenses
-- Job related expenses