Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct student loan payments made to Canada Student Loans?

Hi, 

I'm a resident alien filing taxes, and am trying to find out if I can deduct the interest payments I have made on my (foreign) student loans. This means I don't have a 1098-E. 

I've found other posts that say there is no requirement that the loan be held by a US bank, but that it has to have been for an "eligible educational institution." I've checked and FAFSA does recognize all of the universities I went to (I received loans from British Columbia and Canada for multiple degrees). 

So without a 1098-E, how do I proceed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can create a Form 1098-E and enter the interest amount. 

In TurboTax online, here are the steps:

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in 1098e and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1098e
  • Follow prompt

Per IRS, you can claim the student loan interest you pay to a foreign bank as long as the foreign school you went to is an eligible institution that participates in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education.  Click at the attached blue link to locate your school.  If your school is on the list, it is an eligible institution hence you can deduct the interest. 

Foreign schools, under Federal School Code List, select  2019-2020 Federal School Code List in Excel Format

I am also attaching the IRS publication 970 for your reference, read under Student Loan Interest Chapter 4.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for this helpful information. I'm a bit confused as I don't understand how I can "create my own form" if one was never issued to me. I can certainly calculate on my own how much interest I paid, but it wasn't in US dollars and it wasn't paid to a bank (the payment is unrelated to the schools I attended and goes directly to Canada Student Loans). How would I prove this using the software? 

(P.S. The link to the foreign schools seems to be broken.)

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

In order to claim the deduction, your student loan has to be a qualified student loan which is used solely to pay qualified education expenses.  As you said it is unrelated to the schools you attended, so did you use it to pay for any qualified education expenses like tuition, books, and fees?  What did you use it for?

To check if your school is an eligible education institution, click here: https://ifap.ed.gov/ifap/fedSchoolCodeList.jsp

@victorle

paria55

Hi- I’m in the same situation. Did you figure it out?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim an educational credit for attending a school in Canada If your university participates in a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education although it may be difficult without a 1098T.  Make sure you keep all records and statements issued by the university to substantiate your expenses. To enter.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to federal>deductions and Credits>education
  3. Go to Expenses and Schlorship (form 1098T)
  4. Answer the preliminary questions and then say no when it asks if you have a 1098T
  5. Next question will say OK let's see if you qualify for an exception. You need to qualify for one of the two exceptions listed on the page or else you won't be permitted to file without a 1098T. 

Type   1098-T   into the search box to get to the education section and enter the expenses without a 1098-T stating that you do have an exception. 

You can do this by answering the interview questions in the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies