coachhaack

Can I deduct specialty care expenses paid to my son's school, for interventions related to his disability? This is therapeutic, not tuition. If so, where?

KurtL1

No, you cannot include your son's specialty care expenses as Qualified Expenses for the educational benefits.

Per  Publication 970 - Tax Benefits for Education Qualified Expenses are defined as:

• Tuition; 
  • Required enrollment fees; and
  • Course materials that the student needs for a course of study.

The specialty care expenses do not fall into any of the three areas.

You could open an Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) account. This is a savings account for individuals with disabilities and their families. Distributions are tax free if used to pay the beneficiary's qualified disability expenses, which may include education expenses.

To know more about ABLE accounts you can go to the ABLE National Resource Center.

KurtL1

• Tuition; 
  • Required enrollment fees; and