turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I correct the name that is listed on the Education Expenses Summary? It has my name listed under my son's college. I do have my own student loan though.

Just to clarify, my loan is with another school, not the same one as my son.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Can I correct the name that is listed on the Education Expenses Summary? It has my name listed under my son's college. I do have my own student loan though.

Yes, at the end of the Education Section, DELETE the Student on the Education Expenses Summary (screenshot) and Add a Student to enter your son's info. 

Since you are not currently a student, you definitely don't belong in this section.

Click this link for info on how to enter Student Loan Interest Payments. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sergellys

My taxes where accepted by the irs with this mistake. Are they going to reject it? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Probably not, you'll just have to wait and see.

Does the error change you bottom line? If so, you'll need to file an amended return.

Otherwise, you'll probably never hear from the IRS, but may want to file an amended return to make the correction (I wouldn't).

Sergellys

What do you mean if the error change me bottom line? 

it doesn’t cause me any changes. I was just wondering if the irs is going to accept it or return  it back to me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies