william-chace

Can I claim the interest that I am paying on student loans that I have co-signed and have to pay for a non-dependent child because they are in default?

KatrinaB

Yes. As long as you are legally liable for the student loan and you qualify otherwise you are eligible to claim the interest paid. Please view the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about the student loan interest deduction qualifications.

d3nningb

If I cosigned on an ex's student loans that they defaulted on and I have made the payments, can I deduct them on my taxes even if I don't have and cannot obtain the 1098-E?
KatrinaB