turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not applicable

Can I claim American Opportunity Credit for my son who has a full scholarship? Can I have my son claim income on his tax return if he did not receive a W2 or 1099?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Can I claim American Opportunity Credit for my son who has a full scholarship? Can I have my son claim income on his tax return if he did not receive a W2 or 1099?

Technically , the student can't "just decide" to claim scholarships as income, but they can allocate scholarship funds to "Other Education Expenses" like room and board or transportation. 

If you do this, the education expenses may be used towards a credit.

Enter the 1098-T into your TurboTax program and complete the interview, including the "Education Information" section.

You'll know you finished when you get to "Maximize My Education Tax Break".

If you are eligible for the credit, and if the student's tax on the scholarship will be less than your credit, the program will figure that. The program will also tell you what amount the student needs to claim on his/her return. 

Go back through the "Education Interview" a second time to see what the program is allocating towards a credit. 

You can also see your credit options by typing   letme   into the search box and clicking the "Jump to letme" link. 

Yes, if the program suggests the student claim income so that you get a credit, the student can file and claim that income even if they have no W-2 or 1099 (they enter it as "Other Income"), although if the amount is below the filing requirements. he/she won't need to. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies