turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add my brother on F1 as my dependent?

My brother will be on F1 studying MS in University of North Carolina starting August 2021. I work in Seattle. Can I add my brother as a dependent in my tax returns? If me and my brother live in different locations, will that be an issue? How much max tax advantage can I get if I add him as a dependent? What are the proofs needed to be submitted along my tax returns to add him as my dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I add my brother on F1 as my dependent?

Q. Can I add my brother, who's on an F1 visa,  as a dependent in my tax returns?

A.  No.  A person on an F1 must be in the U.S. for 5 years, to be considered a resident.  Being a US citizen or resident is a requirement (residents of Canada and Mexico are exceptions). You probably also don't meet the support test (rule). See full dependent rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

Q. If me and my brother live in different locations, will that be an issue?

A. No. There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" [QR] in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is a  residence test, for a QC, but not for a QR.

Q. How much max tax advantage can I get if I add him as a dependent?

A.  A  Qualifying Relative dependent is worth a $500 "Other dependent" non-refundable tax credit.

Q. What are the proofs needed to be submitted along my tax returns to add him as my dependent?

A.  None.  Proof is only necessary if you are "audited". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies