Solved: Assist from boyfriend to pay school tution of stud...
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 2

Assist from boyfriend to pay school tution of student with F1 visa

Hi,

My boyfriend is a permanent resident (green card holder ) and I am a F1 student and he wants to give me about $8000 for helping me with this semester tuition. Is there any tax concern for him paying this money to me and for me accepting it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

No.   That would be a gift not reported by anyone if under $15,000 in a year to any one person - if more, then the giver must file a 709 gift tax return.

[You didn't ask but if a non-resident alien on a visa then a 1040NR tax return that is not supported by TurboTax must be used for his taxes.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 15

No.   That would be a gift not reported by anyone if under $15,000 in a year to any one person - if more, then the giver must file a 709 gift tax return.

[You didn't ask but if a non-resident alien on a visa then a 1040NR tax return that is not supported by TurboTax must be used for his taxes.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

Privacy Settings