Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband and I are filing jointly. He is an exchange student at a university here and got a stipend from his university in Vienna. Does that money need to be disclosed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

My husband and I are filing jointly. He is an exchange student at a university here and got a stipend from his university in Vienna. Does that money need to be disclosed?

Yes, it needs to be included.  If you are a US citizen, by filing jointly with your non-citizen spouse requires you to report worldwide income including his stipends from Vienna. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Are you a US citizen or resident?

Yes I am.

I am a US citizen. My husband is a Italian citizen.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see the answer below.

Thank you very much for the response. We just looked up the tax treaty between the US and Austria and it says scholarships are excluded from taxation does that not apply in our case?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Is your husband on a J visa?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it needs to be included.  If you are a US citizen, by filing jointly with your non-citizen spouse requires you to report worldwide income including his stipends from Vienna. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies