• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jprowe5437

Are my professional dues, continuing educational expenses, licensing fees required to be a Speech Pathologist in NV public schools still deductible expenses?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Level 4

Are my professional dues, continuing educational expenses, licensing fees required to be a Speech Pathologist in NV public schools still deductible expenses?

Unfortunately, if you are an employee (Paid with a W2 not a 1099), beginning with your 2018 Tax Return, you can no longer deduct your "unreimbursed employee expenses".

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that was signed into law in December of 2017 eliminated all "Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions" formerly allowable on your Schedule A.  This includes all "unreimbursed employee expenses" such as professional dues, continuing education and licensing fees.  For more information on the new tax changes, please check out this TurboTax article. 2018 Tax Reform, What You Should Know

You may still qualify to take the $250 Educator Expense for unreimbursed classroom supplies.  Check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information.  What is the Educator Expense?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Level 4

Unfortunately, if you are an employee (Paid with a W2 not a 1099), beginning with your 2018 Tax Return, you can no longer deduct your "unreimbursed employee expenses".

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that was signed into law in December of 2017 eliminated all "Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions" formerly allowable on your Schedule A.  This includes all "unreimbursed employee expenses" such as professional dues, continuing education and licensing fees.  For more information on the new tax changes, please check out this TurboTax article. 2018 Tax Reform, What You Should Know

You may still qualify to take the $250 Educator Expense for unreimbursed classroom supplies.  Check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information.  What is the Educator Expense?

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v