turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone noticed in turbo tax so far this year the 1098T educational expeses section there is no box 2 like last year? Turbo tax goes from box 1 to box 3,4. Skips box 2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Anyone noticed in turbo tax so far this year the 1098T educational expeses section there is no box 2 like last year? Turbo tax goes from box 1 to box 3,4. Skips box 2

Yep, there is no box 2 (amount billed by the educational institution) figure allowed on the 1098T form this year.

To obtain any educational credits, you must report what you PAID in 2018, not what you were billed.  The school is required to report only the amount actually received.  There is no change regarding the rules for obtaining an education credit, just a change in what the schools are required to report.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yep, there is no box 2 (amount billed by the educational institution) figure allowed on the 1098T form this year.

To obtain any educational credits, you must report what you PAID in 2018, not what you were billed.  The school is required to report only the amount actually received.  There is no change regarding the rules for obtaining an education credit, just a change in what the schools are required to report.

so the only place to put what I paid is in box 1.  There is nothing on my 1098T box 1.  If I don't put what I paid in box 1 then it doesn't work.  Looks like I need to put what I paid in box 1 regardless of no amount in my 1098T correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable

if the form you got shows an amount in box 2 it's an outdated form. you need to get a current year form from the institution.   failure to do so can result in your return being accepted by the IRS followed by a letter denying tuition credits.   because box 2 does not exist on 2018 forms, most likely the IRS computers would ignore box 2 when submitted by the institution.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies