Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now

American Opportunity or Hope Credit

I am trying to figure out how many times I got these credits. When did it start being offered and how long was it offered. i am only finding it on my 2011 taxes. I went to college 2007 to 2011. thank you.
ChrisJ

American Opportunity or Hope Credit

The American Opportunity Tax Credit replaced the Hope Credit in 2008. 

To find out whether you claimed an educational credit: Look at your complete, finalized return for any year you had eligible educational expenses to report (did you receive a 1098-T?)

Look for form 8863. Is it there? If yes, lines 8 and/or 19 will tell you how much (if any) credit was claimed.

If you don't see Form 8863, there was no way to claim any refundable or nonrefundable credits that year.

The IRS is only ever concerned with knowing if you've claimed this credit for 4 total years - eligible years do not have to be consecutive. (Form 8863, line 23) 

Find your return in TurboTax.

Otherwise, get this information from the IRS. Call them at 800-908-9946 or go here.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing