turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I I didn't enter my 1098-T info for my 2017 return (I paid off my remaining tuition during that year), does this affect my return? Could I report it in my 2018 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I I didn't enter my 1098-T info for my 2017 return (I paid off my remaining tuition during that year), does this affect my return? Could I report it in my 2018 return?

What do you mean by "I paid off my remaining tuition during that year"? Were you in school in 2017 or was that a payment for a prior year when you were in school?

You cannot enter a 2017 Form 1098-T on a 2018 tax return.  If you want to enter the 1098-T then you will have to amend the 2017 tax return.  An amended tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2017 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4252298-how-do-i-amend-a-2017-return-in-turbotax

1. Almost all taxpayers are "cash basis" tax payers meaning in any one year you report income received and deductible expenses paid only in that year.  So, no, if you paid it in 2017, it is not relevant to 2018.
  2. As to 2017, did you intend to file for education credits, or any educations expenses, including possible state deductions or credits?  You need to review what you did do and determine if amending the 2017 filing(s) would generate any substantial refund.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies